Published in

De Gruyter, Journal of Pediatric Endocrinology and Metabolism, 7(33), p. 885-891, 2020

DOI: 10.1515/jpem-2020-0119



Export citation

Search in Google Scholar

Timing, prevalence, and dynamics of thyroid disorders in children and adolescents affected with Down syndrome

This paper was not found in any repository, but could be made available legally by the author.
This paper was not found in any repository, but could be made available legally by the author.

Full text: Unavailable

Green circle
Preprint: archiving allowed
Orange circle
Postprint: archiving restricted
Orange circle
Published version: archiving restricted
Data provided by SHERPA/RoMEO


AbstractObjectivesLimited data on the evolution of thyroid disorders (TD) in Down syndrome (DS) are available. We characterized the timing, prevalence, and dynamics of TD in patients with DS during a long-term follow-up.MethodsWe retrospectively evaluated 91 children and adolescents with DS (12.5 ± 8.3; follow-up 7.5 ± 6.2). Children were monitored at birth, 6, and 12 months of age and twice a year thereafter. Thyroid status and autoimmunity were periodically investigated.ResultsTD were detected in 73.6% of patients, in particular congenital hypothyroidism (CH), autoimmune thyroid diseases (ATD) and subclinical hypothyroidism (SH) were recorded in 16.4, 31.8, and 25.3%, respectively. CH was diagnosed at newborn screening in 86.7% of cases and in the first 6 months of life in the remaining 13.3%; the condition was persistent in 61.5% of patients. In more than 30% of CH cases, glandular hypoplasia was also revealed. In the ATD group, 63.1% of patients with Hashimoto’s disease (HD, 82.6%) were treated with levothyroxine and subjects with Graves’ Disease (GD, 17.4%) started therapy with methimazole. DS with SH were treated in 42.1% of cases. A thyroid hypogenic echopattern, without autoantibody positivity was identified in 27.6% of SH patients.ConclusionsThe high prevalence and evolution of TD in SD requires frequent monitoring starting in the first months of life. CH can be misdiagnosed at screening. In DS subjects, there is a high prevalence of ATD and non-autoimmune diseases with early antibody-negative phases should not be excluded.

Beta version